In 2017 a group of volunteers entered Woodchurch into the Royal Horticultural Society competition: South & South East in Bloom. The name Winbloom emanates from this entry. In 2018 Winbloom won a Silver in the category Large Village and in 2019 went on to win GOLD in the same category.
Following this success, it was decided that the focus for Winbloom would become driven by the needs of the village rather than the requirements of a competition and that the name would revert to Woodchurch in Bloom (Winbloom). In 2020 Woodchurch Gardening Society merged with Woodchurch in Bloom.
We link to the NHS 5 steps to wellbeing and look to enable and engage as many villagers as possible to get involved whether in village gardening, crafting, or immersing in nature. We are proud to have been able to continue some of our activities within all restrictions and support wellbeing throughout 2020.
That through horticulture and associated creative activities we offer everyone in our community the opportunity to look after their health, wellbeing and enjoyment of life.
To promote the health giving benefits of the outdoors, nature and gardening to everyone and to facilitate the opportunity to work as part of a team to enhance our village environment thus adding to the outstanding beauty already abundant in our community.
We will do this by:
- Offering opportunities to work as part of a team or as individuals to create and maintain lively, colourful and aesthetically pleasing communal spaces in our village.
- Encouraging everyone to enjoy the beauty of our environment by promoting themed events to encourage walking around our village recognising the needs of those with limited mobility.
- Promoting the physical and mental health benefits of gardening.
- Encourage social interaction through small group activities and large scale themed activities whereby a group effort can impact large areas of the village.
- Partner with other community groups, local businesses, Woodchurch CEP school and the Parish Council to maintain Woodchurch village as a great community in which to live and work.
- Continue partnership with Woodchurch Village Life Museum and Jean MealhamPop In Centre.